Last night, I showed this message from three years back on the nature of what the New Testament calls, “praying in the Spirit”. That’s what happens when a person prays in a language they don’t understand.
Anyway, I showed this to a class I’m leading on Wednesday nights on the Holy Spirit. After watching the message, I thought it explained a lot of things pretty well, if I do say so myself! Check it out here, as well as the notes that went along with it, below.
In particular, the message explores what it’s like to speak in tongues and why those who pray in this way do it. Enjoy!
Paranormal week 4 from First Assembly Comm. Ministries on Vimeo.
Paranormal–Praying in the Spirit
Acts 2:1-4 “When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”
The Holy Spirit gives special language that connectsthe believer to God
Myths About Speaking in Tongues
1. You start speaking in tongues fluently.
3. It’s going to come when God is ready.
4. Tongues always need interpreted.
TWO KINDS OF TONGUES in 1 Corinthians 12 & 14
* Does not speak to men, but to God (v.2) * Sign for unbelievers (v.22)
* Utters mysteries with his spirit (v.2) * Must be interpreted (v.27)
* Edifies the speaker (v.4) * Done for strengthening of the
* With no interpretation, the speaker should * Spiritual gift only
speak to God (v.27) given to some
* Something all were doing (v.18) (12.29)
If I pray in tongues, my spiritprays.
1 Corinthians 14:2, 14-15 “2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.”
1. Part of our spiritual armor.
Ephesians 6:18 “…praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—“”
Jude 20 “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.”
3. Is a way to identify what to pray for when we don’t know.
Romans 8:26 “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”
4. Is God’s intention for us.
Zephaniah 3:9 “For then I will restore to the peoples a pure language, that they all may call on the name of the Lord,
To serve Him with one accord.”
1. Recognize that our interaction with God requiressome mystery.
2. Step out with courage today and speakin the Spirit.